Additionally, French is the fourth-most widely spoken language in the US and the fifth-most commonly spoken language worldwide. It’s the official language in 29 countries in Europe and Africa, spoken by over 270 million people across five continents. It’s also the official language of the United Nations, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross, and the international courts.
Why Study French at UA?
At The University of Alabama, students have the opportunity to complete
- an undergraduate minor in French
- a foreign languages and literature (FLL) major in French
- a dual major in FLL-French and business
- a Master of Arts (MA) in Romance Languages with a concentration on French literature or linguistics
- an Accelerated Master’s Program for students who want to start working toward an MA while completing their undergraduate requirements
- a PhD in Romance languages with a concentration on French literature or linguistics
Opportunities for Students
We offer a highly regarded UA in France Summer Abroad Program in addition to semester and year abroad programs in France and Belgium. Students can volunteer to participate in our French Language Exploration Outreach Program (FLEX) to teach French once a week to children enrolled in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th grade at University Place Elementary school in Tuscaloosa.
Students also have the option to participate in the Teaching Assistant Program in France.
Our students are supported in their studies by a variety of cultural and social activities throughout the fall and spring semesters, such as the French conversation table, game nights, crêpe parties, and French-language film screenings, many hosted by the Cercle Français (French Club).