Why Study Spanish?
- It’s the fourth most spoken language on the planet.
- The United States is now the second-largest Spanish-speaking country.
- Fluency in Spanish is an asset in numerous career fields.
Why Study Spanish at UA?
We offer excellent study abroad programs, and a great college experience on one of the country’s most beautiful campuses.
With professors with advanced degrees from top-rated institutions — Brown University, Indiana University, The Ohio State University, Georgetown University, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, University of Illinois at Chicago, and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, among many others — the Spanish program at The University of Alabama offers high-quality education and a wide range of learning opportunities.
At The University of Alabama, students have the opportunity to complete:
- an undergraduate minor in Spanish
- an undergraduate major in Spanish
- a dual major in Spanish and business
- a master’s degree in Romance Languages with a concentration on Spanish literature or linguistics (which can even start while completing undergraduate requirements for the Spanish major by entering the Accelerated Masters Program)
- a PhD in Romance Languages with a concentration on Spanish literature or linguistics
We offer a highly regarded Alabama in Spain Summer Abroad Program in addition to semester and year abroad programs, a semester in Cuba program, and a new study abroad program in South America, Alabama in Colombia. Students who participate in our new Spanish Outreach Program are placed as interns in the Tuscaloosa/Northport area, where they help Spanish-speaking children learn English.
Our students are supported in their studies by not only free tutoring services but also a variety of cultural and social activities throughout the fall and spring semesters, such as conversation hours, dance parties, and Spanish-language film screenings, many hosted by the Spanish Club.