Assistant Professor of Italian
Language Program Director in Italian
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone (205) 348-5059
- office location BB Comer Hall 216
- PhD, Comparative Literature, The Graduate Center, CUNY (2019)
- MA, Modern Languages, Literatures, and Translation, Sapienza Università di Roma (2012)
Fabio Battista’s research interests include early modern European culture, translation studies, and second language acquisition.
He is working on his first book, provisionally entitled Staging English Affairs in Early Modern Italy: History, Politics, Drama, in which he investigates the transmission of knowledge and the fictionalization of facts across the European continent, with a particular attention to the Anglo-Italian case. His research has been funded by, among others, a Northeast Modern Language Association Summer Grant (2015) and an Andrew W. Mellon Dissertation Fellowship (2018-2019). Most recently, he was awarded the Anne Jacobson Schutte Early Career Research Grant by the Society for Reformation Research (2021). Dr. Battista is also a published translator and has authored The Queen of Scots / La reina di Scotia, the first bilingual edition of Federico Della Valle’s early modern tragedy on Mary Queen of Scots, for the Lorenzo Da Ponte Italian Library Series of the University of Toronto Press (2023). In addition, he is a contributor to Stories for a Year, the English-language digital edition of Luigi Pirandello’s short stories.
At UA, Dr. Battista serves as the Italian Club faculty advisor and as the Faculty Support Coordinator for the Parker-Adams Program, for which he co-teaches AS 101 and 102. In Summer 2022, he was the Assistant Director of the UA in Italy: Language and Culture study abroad program in Florence.
- Federico Della Valle, The Queen of Scots / La reina di Scotia. Ed. and trans. by Fabio Battista. Toronto: University of Toronto Press – Lorenzo Da Ponte Italian Library, 2023.
- “Black Italians and the Case of Zero: Developing Intercultural Competence through Authentic Audiovisuals in the Beginner Italian Classroom.” Teaching Italian Language and Culture Annual (2022).
- Luigi Pirandello, “The Tight Frock Coat” (“Marsina stretta”), “The New Suit” (“L’abito nuovo”). Trans. by Fabio Battista. Stories for a Year, eds. Lisa Sarti and Michael Subialka, Digital Edition, 2022.
- [book translation] Christian Uva, Sergio Leone: Cinema as Political Fable. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2020.
- “Death of a Stateswoman: Elizabeth Tudor and the Critique of Female Rule in La regina statista d’Inghilterra (1668).” Italica 96.4 (Winter 2019).
- “Cronaca del Monastero delle Clarisse di Perugia.” Brill Encyclopedia of the Medieval Chronicle (2016).
- “Ricordanze del Monastero di Santa Lucia in Foligno (1424-1786).” Brill Encyclopedia of the Medieval Chronicle (2016).
- “Spiritual Autobiography in Seventeenth-Century England. Trends in Literary History and Criticism, 1948 – 2012.” Status Quaestionis 3 (2012).
- “La parole antérieure. Giraudoux, Électre e la riscrittura del mito.” Laboratorio Critico 3 (2012).
- “La vie humaine commence de l’autre côté du désespoir. La lezione di Macbeth ne Les Mouches.” Laboratorio Critico 2 (2012).