Why Study Spanish?
- It’s the fourth most spoken language on the planet.
- The United States is now the second largest Spanish-speaking country.
- Fluency in Spanish is an asset in numerous career fields.
Why Study Spanish at UA?
We offer excellent study abroad programs, and a great college experience on one of the country’s most beautiful campuses. With professors with advanced degrees from top-rated institutions — Brown University, Indiana University, Ohio State University, Georgetown University, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, and University of Illinois at Chicago, among many others — the Spanish Program at The University of Alabama offers high quality education and a wide range of learning opportunities.
At The University of Alabama, students have the opportunity to complete:
- an undergraduate Minor in Spanish,
- an undergraduate Major in Spanish,
- a dual Major in Spanish and Business,
- a Master’s degree in Romance Languages with a concentration on Spanish literature or linguistics (which can even start while completing undergraduate requirements for the Spanish major by entering the Accelerated Masters Program),
- a PhD in Romance Languages with a concentration on Spanish literature or linguistics.
We offer a highly regarded Alabama in Spain Summer Abroad Program in addition to semester and year abroad programs, a semester in Cuba program, and a new study abroad program in South America, Alabama in Colombia. Students who participate in our new Spanish Outreach Program are placed as interns in the Tuscaloosa/Northport area, where they help Spanish-speaking children learn English.
Our students are supported in their studies by not only free tutoring services but also a variety of cultural and social activities throughout the fall and spring semesters, such as conversation hours, dance parties, and Spanish-language film screenings, many hosted by the Spanish Club.