Language Placement Test

The course level at which students begin their study of Chinese is determined by several factors, including the number of high school units completed; language placement examination scores; or, for those with native or heritage competency, faculty evaluation.

Placement Exam

Students with more than two high school units of Chinese should take a placement examination via Foreign Language Assessment. To access the Foreign Language Assessment,

  • Log into your myBama account (
  • Select the Admissions/Scholarships tab
  • Select the Foreign Language Assessment links in the Undergraduate Admission section of the page

Students placed in intermediate-level courses or higher can earn placement credit. However, heritage language or bilingual students do not receive credit for courses below the 300 level. These students should contact the Department of Modern Languages and Classics before attending summer orientation or before registering for a course in the language for which they have native or heritage competency.

Determining Which Course to Take

Students cannot place themselves in a lower class than placement guidelines indicate. The placement guidelines take into account previous exposure and experience. Taking a lower-level course will do students a disservice and lead only to frustration. Any deviation from the placement guidelines (number of high school units completed; language placement scores; native or heritage competency) must be approved by the Chinese Faculty.

Score Placement
0-200 CHI 101
201-268 CHI 102
269-335 CHI 201
336-400 CHI 202+
401-600 CHI 301/302
601+ CHI 401+

Standardized Test

Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK) is China’s only standardized test of Standard Chinese language proficiency for non-native speakers. For this test, please refer to the testing site at Troy University.