Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics | Spanish Language Program Director
- 210 BB Comer Hall
- (205) 348-5720
Tuesdays / Thursdays 12:30 – 1:30 PM
PhD, Hispanic Linguistics (University of Illinois at Chicago)
MA, Hispanic Linguistics (University of Illinois at Chicago)
BA, Spanish / Communication Arts (University of Wisconsin-Madison)
Dr. Koronkiewicz’s research interests include bilingualism, code-switching, methodology, processing, pronouns, second language acquisition, and syntax. Current projects concern bilingualism; syntactic properties of code-switching; quantitative/experimental methodology; methodological concerns in bilingual research; the bilingual spectrum (e.g., early vs. late, simultaneous vs. consecutive); heritage speaker bilingualism; second language acquisition; and bilingual processing.
- Koronkiewicz, B. (To appear). Subject-predicate code-switching: Testing the need of a matrix language through embedding. In A. Morales-Front (Ed.), Issues in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Koronkiewicz, B., & Ebert, S. (To appear). Modality in experimental code-switching research: Aural versus written stimuli. In L. López (Ed.), Code-switching: Theoretical questions, experimental answers. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Ebert, S., & Koronkiewicz, B. (2018). Monolingual data as a foundation for analyzing code-switching data. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism 8 (1), 25-66.
- Koronkiewicz, B. (2018). Acquiring L1-English L2-Spanish code-switching: The role of exposure to language mixing. Languages, 3 (3), 26.
- González-Vilbazo, K., & Koronkiewicz, B. (2016). Tú y yo can code-switch, nosotros cannot: Pronouns in Spanish-English code-switching. In R. E. Guzzardo Tamargo, C. Mazak & M. C. Parafita Cuoto (Eds.), Spanish-English Code-switching in the Caribbean and the US (pp. 237-260). Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Morgan, W. J., Miller, A., & Koronkiewicz, B. (2016). Digital literacy and social media in the foreign language classroom. The Language Educator 11 (4), 32-35.
- González-Vilbazo, K., Bartlett, L., Downey, S., Ebert, S., Heil, J., Hoot, B., Koronkiewicz, B., & Ramos, S. E. (2013). Methodological considerations in code-switching research. Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics 6 (1), 118-138.